Wednesday 13 June 2012

Job Hunting or watching sport?


For those of you who know me you'll know that I'd probably sit in front of the TV all day and night watching football, golf or darts or actually most sports till the cows come home (including snails competing for Olympic glory in their marathon!!!). But that doesnt help when you're job seeking.


I have reflected previously on how job seeking was pretty much a war - it has to be rigorously planned and timetable yourself into when you will search and when you will contact people and so on. When there are other distractions on such as sport or whatever you would prefer to be doing then there is a solution.

Just amend your timetable and do things differently. It might mean getting up in the morning half an hour earlier or doing something later in the evening or doing something at the weekend. Importantly you do need to do it. Then reward yourself with the time on the settee with a glass of wine or a beer and some crisps. You deserve the reward.

It goes without saying which team I do not want to win, so I won't say it!!! I don't want to upset anybody out there who might have a job, permanent or interim, for me so I will maintain my radio silence on that one and plead the Fifth.

Generally though the recruitment market is still quiet with few roles around and sector specific experience still being asked for by clients. A very frustrating element in the respect that for many years, if not always, we in HR roles prided ourself on being able to transfer from role to role and business to business. My recent marketing blitz seemed to reinforce that. Hey, onwards and upwards and something will come along.


It is really good to hear and see that my blogging is having such a positive impact. I'm constantly getting positive feedback from fellow job seekers but also recruiters who remember me and keep me on their radar. It convinces me that a far reaching job seeking strategy is now needed by somebody when looking for a role. No longer can you rely on one strand of a search. 


At the end of the day, it will come down to right place and right time. I am sure of that.

In the meantime, I'm working well at the current 3 day per week interim role and getting down now to the real nitty gritty elements of the change programme and people will start to see and feel the impact of the proposals. This is not the place to explain them, but for me it's good to be working.

Still though, I'm on the look out for a full time, permanent or interim, generalist Senior HR role. Please review my LinkedIn Profile and if you want to discuss opportunities then contact me via this Blog or via LinkedIN or call me on 07722447847. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great if you left a comment. It can only help, but please be mindful that only positive comments are likely to be retained. But don't let that put you off.

Regards

IAIN