Monday 7 January 2013

It's not Blue Monday yet but set your goals for 2013


It has been fantastic travelling on the motorway network over the past few weeks. Britain has been on its annual closedown but, being stoic, I've been going to work apart from my birthday, Christmas Day, Boxing Day and NewYears Day and enjoying the free flowing journey both to and from work. If only ............ 


But just when you thought it was over - that is Christmas and New Year - I've read that "Blue Monday" is with us. No it's not today which will be the first day back on the commuting trail for most people. It's actually on the third Monday on January 21st. We've not been paid for ages, all the bills need paying and we're still in dark days with the next bank holiday at Easter time. 

There are times in your job search when you feel like every day is a Blue Monday but that's not the way to react or feel. In job search time there feel like lots of knock backs - no matter how often you review job boards, there aren't any jobs for you, recruiters aren't returning calls, it feels like your CV is not working, no interviews are on the horizon, you feel like your skills are stagnating... And you can add to that list as well I'm sure.
The start of any New Year is seen as a good time to review your life in general. People set themselves resolutions and by the second or third week those resolutions have gone by the wayside. Drinking has recommenced, cigarettes are back on the agenda and that diet and the idea of a more active life has skeedaddled off down the road.

For a job seeker though there is really no such thing as a New Year. Reviewing your CV and job search outcomes should be a constant activity. I'm not saying that you change your CV every day but sit back and consider what you have done well. Think about what has brought success. Think about what hasn't worked well. Revise your Linked In profile or get on there if you haven't done that already. Consider whether you want to use other social media outlets.

I might be mad but over the holiday period I was still on alert for my career options. I attended a webinar on job seeking. I'm never complacent - even though I know and understand a lot about the recruitment process, I never stop learning. And importantly for job hunters, there's a lot of free support available for you out there. Just invest the time in yourself and the rewards will come. 

Now that first Monday on the year has arrived and I have no "Blue Monday" reactions. It's just another day for me. But my job search continues and I'll keep up my resolutions for my job search. I'll also remember that if I don't always do what I say I will do in this search, I can start again and never give up till my goal is achieved. For you it needs to be the same. Don't be a failure in your job search, because you can only blame yourself. Set your levels high and go for it.

2013 will be the year when I find the role I want. Absolutely convinced of that. And for you it will be the same. Make it your goal and achieve it.

As always, I ask all readers to share this blog widely and if you want to know more about me then look at my Linked In profile. I'd be happy to talk further with anybody on job opportunities for permanent or interim appointments. My contact details are via Linked in or this blog. Thanks

(C) Iain Williamson 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great if you left a comment. It can only help, but please be mindful that only positive comments are likely to be retained. But don't let that put you off.

Regards

IAIN