Tuesday 24 April 2012

Selfish and Self Obsessed Job Seekers

It is a 24 hour job looking for a job. Hunting down that elusive role takes up all your waking time and as the situation continues maybe even effects your sleeping time as well.

It becomes an all consuming exercise. You wake up. You turn on the pc. You read your emails. You look at job boards. You apply for jobs. You make telephone calls. You rewrite your CV. You read more emails. Etc. Etc. Etc. Etc. Then back to bed for sleep.

Doesn't that sound like a miserable existence? Yes and that is why you have to think about the others around you and recognise that you need to give them time as well. Of course, they are supportive of you and want you to find a role as soon as possible but never forget them and what they do for you.

My wife, Roksolana, supports me in any way she can. It might be as simple as a cup of tea or a bite to eat but it's support. She also tells me to get away from the pc and rest for a bit - that way she gets me refreshed for more of the job search.

She helps me prepare for interviews and helps me to think wider in terms of what I am looking for and doing to achieve it. She acknowledges my skills and competences and reminds me why she married me - you will excuse me if I don't explain everything in this edition of the blog.

It will be our joint reward when I find a role and we will celebrate. AND I WILL THANK HER AGAIN. We'll probably have some fantastic Moldovan wine. She is a superb support to me at all times. 

My message is that although you have to be quite self centric in your job search, don't forget those around you. They need you as much as you need them. Never forget them and always thank them.

Yesterday I was venting my spleen on the lack of candidate feedback in recruitment processes. There were quite a few comments as a result so if you want to read them then please click on the link. More comments always welcome.

In closing, as always here's a link to my LinkedIn profile. Happy to talk about any potential opportunities as soon as possible

(c) Iain Williamson 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great if you left a comment. It can only help, but please be mindful that only positive comments are likely to be retained. But don't let that put you off.

Regards

IAIN