Friday 13 April 2012

Typical Friday and help for telephone interview needed

It's raining and it's been a frustrating day for my job search. I guess it's the back end of the Easter holidays and so many people are still away from the office that means that progress is slow.


The main thing is that I am still positive about my job search. There's no future in getting down about things because that helps nobody. I'm still sure that my next role is just around the corner. I know that I missed an interview opportunity while I was away on my pre-planned holiday but that's just a reminder that in any job search you have to be instantly available and flexible to attend interview. That situation couldn't be helped - actually I was attending the opera in Moldova - Tosca - when the recruiter tried to contact me to get me to go for interview on Good Friday. 

In yesterdays blog, I told you about Moldavian wine. I forgot to tell you how fantastic the ballet and opera is. The ballet performers are trained by The Bolshoi in Moscow and exceptionally talented. And all at a stupendous price equivalent to approximately £4.80 at today's rates. I know you won't believe that but it is true.

Everybody will have a story like that to tell during their job search I am sure but for me it was good to get away from the stress of the job seeking activity. Now I'm refreshed and ready to go and get the job done soon. I'm looking again at refreshing my CV on the job boards and considering its contents.

Today I had a telephone interview for an interim role and hope to find out if I'm through to the next stage by the end of next week. It was a difficult experience because I haven't done many of them. 


My view was that I should prepare for that encounter as if it was a full interview. I prepared my "potential answers" and my questions. In addition, I got my information about the business and the role and tried to envisage myself working for them.

Does anybody have any tips on how to manage or prepare for this type of interview? I know it is becoming more prevalent because I spoke to one of my connections on Linked in who has had a couple of them now.

What is important to do? When it's a face to face encounter at least you can see and feel reactions from the interviewer at the time. On a telephone you get none of those aids.

Can anybody point me in the right direction for that? 

I'm going to have a restful weekend of golf, grass cutting and hopefully a successful result arises in the Cup Semi Final. I won't tempt fate like the last time!!!!

To all My Readers, have a great weekend and don't forget to pass my LinkedIn details to any of your connections who my be looking to recruit a Senior HR professional. I'm happy to talk to all and sundry. Thank you.

(c) Iain Williamson 2012


No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great if you left a comment. It can only help, but please be mindful that only positive comments are likely to be retained. But don't let that put you off.

Regards

IAIN