Wednesday 25 April 2012

Sector Experience

Yesterday I had a useful discussion with a recruiter about a role that she is trying to recruit for on behalf of a client and she was apologetic to me that her client was being so specific about the background required for the role. She could see that undoubtedly I have the competences to do the role but having had her remit for the role and also having seen previous candidates being rejected she knew it would be a futile exercise for her to try to place me. And importantly we did not want me to be sitting here waiting for the telephone call to interview when she/I knew that there could only be one outcome.
That approach was refreshing for me to see. Of course, I was disappointed because this would have been a blue chip top notch employer and they would have had a fantastic employee!!!

But what it got me thinking about was how I could brand myself differently so that recruiters and potential employing businesses could see my background met their needs. I can't hide the fact that I have so many years of experience and in so many different business sectors - indeed, I see that as very much a bonus for me in my sales pitch. I have constantly shown that I can fit into different organisations, different sectors and deliver a superbly professional HR service.

So what I am working on at the moment is a "comparison table" for me to circulate to people that will help them to see behind the sector. For example, I can claim to have retail experience. Some of it comes from the early part of my career, but there is more recent experience on my CV as well - and maybe that doesn't shout from the current information. 

What about international experience? What about matrix reporting organisations? Etc etc.

I guess what I'm doing is trying to give people more evidence to allow them to make more positive decisions about my application to work for their business. In the public sector, they'd describe it as a Personal Statement. But for me this will be more than that and will be a real strong branding exercise for me that will tell My Story and show that experience never goes away.

For all job seekers, it is frustrating when you read an advert and think that you're a perfect fit and then hear nothing more. Maybe this is a way to dot the i's and cross the t's. Go a bit further and the pot of gold will be there. Maybe. It can't do any harm.

We often talk about HR being a transferable role and that it should not be a barrier to getting a job in any organisation. I need to take that a bit further and showcase myself so that readers of my CV and any other documentation, on line or not, offer me interviews and jobs. So its a work in progress but something I feel I need to complete asap.

As always thanks for reading. Please share and like and comment as appropriate. My LinkedIn profile is there for you to view and contact me if there's an HR role you would like to discuss with me.

(c) Iain Williamson 2012

1 comment:

It would be great if you left a comment. It can only help, but please be mindful that only positive comments are likely to be retained. But don't let that put you off.

Regards

IAIN