Wednesday 16 May 2012

What to do?

Its been a while now since my last interim role finished rather abruptly when the business went into administration but now slowly but surely these folks are getting back into the job world. Obviously it has been a difficult time for them and even more so when it appears that as yet they have not received their due payments from the Administrators.

But the good news is that they are getting back into work. Congratulations to them and with a good following wind let's hope that it's not too long before the rest get some result.

I was in a slightly different situation from them in that I was not an employee, operating as the Interim HR Manager - their best ever, I'm told - so was not embroiled in any of the fall out regarding payments from the administrator. You may recall that I had some difficulties getting payments from the agency but these were happily resolved, apart from payments being made over a 4 months period. But at least I will get it.

Recruiters are continuing to tell me that the market is not as good as they would like it. Imagine how I feel about matters!!! And now I am at the point of reconsidering and reviewing my options around salary levels. Thereby lies the conundrum.

If I apply for a role that pays at a level lower than I have worked at before how do I convince the recruiter/business that I won't leave the minute that a better offer comes along? And I am sure that recruiters/businesses automatically reject me for roles when they perceive that I have clearly operated at a higher level previously. Indeed, i had one business recently who told me that I would be bored with the job because I'd been involved with so much in roles prior to that. And so I was unsuccessful for that appointment.

Surely the fact that I'm sitting in front of them, surely the fact that I've done a round trip of 150 miles and prepared a 10 minutes presentation is more than enough evidence to confirm that I have considered all the issues and still considered the role as appropriate at this point.?

Of course, I don't particularly want to take a reduced salary level but  believe me that it is more than you get when you are signing on as unemployed!!!

But even so I am still positive that I will find the right role at the right level at the right business when the time is right. All job seekers go through ups and downs and it it important to keep strong and be positive.

MESSAGE for Recruiters and businesses - if you need a fantastic senior HR professional with an operational and strategic background from both private and public sector organisations then please contact me. My LinkedIN profile can be viewed through this link. Go there and contact me. It will do you and me no harm to have a discussion, in confidence about what value I can add.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great if you left a comment. It can only help, but please be mindful that only positive comments are likely to be retained. But don't let that put you off.

Regards

IAIN