Wednesday 28 March 2012

Feeling Rejected?

One of the outcomes of being out of work is that you have to deal with rejection. Of course, it's easy to feel that you have been rejected because you have lost your job through redundancy or the business has gone into administration, or whatever reason. The point here is that you have probably had little or no option on this happening and for some people they take it as a personal insult. And unfortunately at the moment, with the UK economy still being very much in flux, this type of situation is becoming more prevalent for people.

It certainly is not that. 



And then you get more and more feelings of rejection. The job market is very competitive in all sectors and in all roles. So when somebody applies for a role, and puts their head on the block, there is another opportunity for rejection. Statistically you are more likely not to get the job than be offered it.

So in job search terms, I try not to get ahead of myself and think that a job is secure until the offer is made. Of course, I get disappointed if I'm successful but never to the point of depression. 

I'll always try to find out why I have not been appointed and reflect on my performance at interview. Could I have done anything different? Could I have presented myself differently? Was the decision made on something that I could not change no matter what?

It is more difficult to understand when I don't get an interview when, to all intents and purposes, I fit the bill in all respects. But then I reconcile it with the probable knowledge that there were lots of applicants and it was a difficult decision, etc. More importantly for my sanity, I also think it is their loss and not mine. The job I deserve and want is always round the corner.

The target is to find the correct corner!!!!

So a message for my fellow job seekers - 
  • Don't get into despair. 
  • Your career record will sell you.
  • Prepare well for your interviews when they come.
  • Ask why you did not get a role and reflect on the answers you get.
  • Keep up with your contacts and network, network, network.
  • Keep up with your professional knowledge.
Is there anything that you can pass on to your fellow job seekers?

I always keep myself upbeat about my prospects. I know my career history is a significant sell for me. And I always try to support others although still being selfish for myself, my wife and my family. Does that make sense?

Feel free to pass this blog onto your network and add comments. The more the merrier.

(c) Iain Williamson 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great if you left a comment. It can only help, but please be mindful that only positive comments are likely to be retained. But don't let that put you off.

Regards

IAIN