Friday 16 March 2012

Sunshine Day

I thought I'd continue the weather theme. Today has been much brighter in my job search and I have been re-energised after a great meeting with a down to earth recruiter this morning. It was a very refreshing difference to meet somebody who was not full of promises that would probably not be delivered. Yes she was candid about the current job market for HR professionals like me but she could see that I would be a real asset to any business.



It is sometimes easy to be pulled in by the promises of lots of available jobs and we can market you easily and then very soon we will have you in a role. Sorry folks there are some of them out there but, in my experience, they are few and far between. Recruiters come in for lots of criticism so I'm not going to add to their troubles.

I have learnt from previous job search exercises that I need to talk to as many of them as possible so that I can give myself the best chance of finding a role. It is clear that I know lots of people but recruiters know more people and, significantly, they also know the people who make the job decisions. So I have to use them.

This afternoon and yesterday afternoon, I've been talking to more recruiters and there are therefore a few more irons in the fire. It's not that I want to impersonalise them but I need to keep me on their radar as much as possible. I've developed a rota for me to contact them so that they can't or won't forget me!!!!!

One of my connections on Linked-In said to me earlier this week that she felt that the the traditional recruiter route is dying out but she did agree with me that for now we had to use them for our job search. She had found roles via Linked In which was interesting to me so I plan to look at that option in more detail. 

I haven't seen the weather forecast for tomorrow but I know that it is Saturday and as always it never rains on a golf course so an early morning tee time for me. 

And that reminds me, I need to tell people at the golf club that I'm on the look out for a role. It's not about begging but as I already know it will do my job search no harm. A friend of a friend and all that.

If you wish to leave any comments please feel free to do so. I will be posting again after the weekend. 

Thanks

(c) Iain Williamson 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

It would be great if you left a comment. It can only help, but please be mindful that only positive comments are likely to be retained. But don't let that put you off.

Regards

IAIN