Thursday 15 March 2012

Foggy Thursday and Its Resolution

It was foggy this morning when I woke up and had my breakfast. That almost describes my job hunting day today. There are literally hundreds of places to look for roles and it's difficult to work out a routine to make sure I cover them all in the best most time efficient way. 


Task Number One in this Job Search is to find a way to do that because when I'm sitting at the PC there's nothing worse than just wading through one job board after another after another. Does anybody have the answer?


And the frustration is that without doubt I know I can do many of the roles that are there but often they don't fit my needs. Either they are too low in terms of experience level, or maybe salary is too low or ...... well you know. 

It's that old conundrum. I know that at the end of the day this will be a numbers game. The more applications I make the more I will be likely to get interviews and therefore, by default, be likely to be offered roles. 

But why apply for a role where the recruiter sees immediately that I have far too much experience? How do I convince a recruiter that because I have applied for a role then that means that I take on board the Ts and C's of that role? Yes - told you it was a conundrum.

Its all about rejection and there's nothing more hurtful than a rejection. I'd like to think that through my career I have consistently provided a high level of HR professionalism to whichever business I was working with at the time. And through my Linked In profile, where I have some very positive recommendations from both work colleagues and Senior Level Executives including COOs and CEOs,  I believe it shows I deliver on the projects I have been hired to complete. Just need to convince recruiters, agency and business.

To resolve Task Number One, I will make a list of my favourite job boards and review them daily, and then have a secondary list which I will review on an every-other-day basis. Of course, because each job board has its vacancies dated, I will not need to review a full week at a time. So hopefully that will reduce the drudgery and the foggy nature of this exercise.

Come back soon for my next update in my job search.

(C) Iain Williamson 2012

1 comment:

  1. Hi Iain,

    Knew you would start with food!. You are correct in everything you say as I'm having the same problems,my way is to start the morning off with the view that 'today will be the day when I make progress', hasnt happened yet but it motivates me. Keep up the blogs as at least if the day doesnt go well I have a laugh!

    ReplyDelete

It would be great if you left a comment. It can only help, but please be mindful that only positive comments are likely to be retained. But don't let that put you off.

Regards

IAIN